Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Oscars

I don't know why I like to watch the Oscars. I don't see that many movies. It is a silly spectacle. Somewhere today (forget where) I read that they were started by Louis B. Mayer as a way of not just placating his tempremental employees but more importantly spurring them on to better work.

I didn't think Jon Stewart (of whom I am a big fan) would work as host, and I am in the he-didn't camp. He's ironic and mocking, and outsiders mocking Hollywood just don't go over well. The whole event is bizarrely and sickly self-important. Friendly, self-mocking humor from a Crystal or Goldberg works. Outsiders don't.

Some gay bloggers and web forum posters took umbrage at Brokeback not winning, with theories from it being too envelope-pushing to being too conservative being suggested. I was rooting for it, but thought it had some weaknesses. I haven't seen Crash, but I know there are plenty of people who thought that it was just the better movie. I know Hoffman's Capote performance was amazing, and his win was no surprise. But I thought Heath Ledger's Brokeback performance was extraordinary and I'm sorry he didn't win. The two leading contenders for best actor gave rich, nuanced, and deep performances playing gay men; that's a geat step forward for equality.

Hmm. I have seen three of the five best-picture nominated films. That's more than usual. And it's due, no doubt, to the fact that they were smaller, more interesting and less blockbuster-type movies than typically show up.

Perlman sounded great. As he is performing less and less as a violinist, it was a treat to hear him, especially sounding to in shape. I loved the hip-hop number and that it won the best song award. Dolly was great, too. My favorite, though, of the three songs was the other one (hah! I'm up too late). You know, the other one whose name I can't remember at the moment.

No comments: