Sunday, March 05, 2006

Ethan Winer's Way-Cool Multi-Cello Video

Ethan Winer is a very cool guy. He exemplifies the kind of rich, varied and creative life one can live, and is an especially good example of how can have a real commitment to classical music without being a full-time classical musician. Part of the future of classical music, anyway, lies with people such as Ethan.

Now he's made a video that has been taking the internet cello world by storm. As he describes it on his site:

I thought it would be a fun project to write and record a pop tune using nothing but cellos, then make a video of the performance. The original goal was to keep everything entirely acoustic, with no recording studio effects or other processing. I quickly abandoned that idea to get more variety of sounds, but everything you hear was played entirely on my cello. There are 37 separate cello parts recorded on 23 tracks using 37 plug-in effects.

I don't know if I should be embarrassed to admit I spent hundreds of hours on this project, or proud to have paid so much attention to detail. You be the judge.

He doesn't go into the details of creating and producing the video, but it obviously took hours and hours.

The video is so much fun. I think it's going to be great for cheering myself up when I'm having a bummer of a day.

No comments: