Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Accomanying the soloist, not yourself

Conductor Kenneth Woods, who I wish had comments enabled on his blog, writes today about preparing to conduct a concerto one has played as a soloist. I was at a concert once where Rostropovich conducted the Dvorak Cello Concerto with Frans Helmerson as soloist. Cleary Slava was accompanying "the soundtrack that’s going on in my head rather than what the soloist is actually doing," as Kenneth puts it. I could certainly understand Slava not being into following another cellist! Many conductors don't make the effort Kenneth does to be so acommadating.

He also praises this wonderful Pierre Fournier DVD, which includes a marvelous performance of the Schumann concerto. I love it, too.

2 comments:

gottagopractice said...

Hmm. I recall KW asking for more comments a week or so ago so I checked his blog. He does have comments enabled, they're just "hidden" in the little gray subtitle bar instead of at the end of the post.

Anonymous said...

Hi Eric

Thanks for the mention. Gottago is right, I love comments, but I have to admit the button is not very readable with the current blog template. Also, the template is in Italian, so it's commento and commenti, which is a bit silly.

Anyway, glad you like the Fournier as well. The Gendron stuff on that DVD is also fab.

Hope our paths cross soon

Ken