Tuesday, September 26, 2006

First movement, as heard in the hall . . .

I've now have the CD of the broadcast version of the Shostakovich. I'm working on converting the files. Meanwhile, here's a different recording of the first movement, from the dress rehearsal. This was recorded on a Sony MP3 recorder and a prety good stereo mic out in the middle of the auditorium, about 2/3 of the way back from the stage. I set the mic at about "ear level," because I wanted to hear the actual balance. The broadcast recording used a spot mic on the cello solo.

I'm playing a Luis and Clark carbon fiber cello here. As you can tell from this recording, it packs quite a punch and carries well in the hall.

Click here to listen or download the file. It's also available on my recordings page, where I'll post the entire concerto soon.

No comments: